Fri, 11 Dec 1998 03:33:33 -0600
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Eric Thomas wrote:

> That is generally the case outside north America. I think this he/she issue is
> totally incomprehensible if English is not your native language. Most other

You have to forgive us, Eric, as you might say we freely excercise our
constitutional right to make fools of ourselves.

The use of the singlular male pronoun as a neuter term is fairly common in
Indo-European languages, and it is neuter in those cases, implies nothing.
My Russian professors didn't put up with such quibbles; linguistic gender
has no necessary connection to sexual gender and implies nothing.

Douglas