Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Mar 1993 03:47:09 +0100
>Why  is this,  from [log in to unmask],  not a  lecture on  the
>respective merits of systems (and even earned an honorable mention)

This was above all an example of a technically competent forgery which is
almost impossible to  detect by examining the logs. This  was, I suppose,
to illustrate the point that Melvin could have remained totally anonymous
had he  only wanted to,  and that therefore  he either didn't  care being
identified  or the  posting was  due to  a computer  screwup and  was not
intentional. It was relevant, given what had just happened, because there
might  be  people who  don't  think  it is  possible,  or  that you  need
privileges on LISTSERV's system, or whatever.

>but    this    direct    response,    in    the    same    vein,    from
>[log in to unmask], *is*  a lecture on the  respective merits of
>systems .

True, there  was another  way to  see it.  It's either  a lecture  on the
respective merits of  operating systems presented under  a humorous cover
or an example of a technically  incompetent forgery, something one can do
with most unix mail programs without  even knowing a thing about SMTP and
LISTSERV and that takes maybe 15 seconds to spot. You can have it the way
you want.  I had assumed, perhaps  erroneously, that you saw  no value in
showing the  list that one can  forge mail in such  a way that it  can be
traced easily.  If that  was the point  you were trying  to make,  I will
grant its relevance in the present context - and total lack of interest.

>As long  as my strictly for  fun stuff is distributed  by the listserver
>with the  From: line  I specify  I couldn't  care less  if someone  in a
>privileged position, with some work, can figure out who it actually came
>from.

Actually, all it took was a glance at the 'In-Reply-To:' line.

Anyway, I'm not  trying to censor anyone.  This list has no  owner in the
usual sense of the term, of course I take care of bounces and if Hasan B.
Mutlu  comes  back with  a  new,  updated  informational package  I  will
promptly deal  with him as well,  and obviously I'd rather  people posted
under their  real names (according  to the student unions'  big countdown
sign, there  are still  57 days  to carnival), but  sure, you're  free to
extoll the  superiority of  unix if  that makes you  happy. What  I don't
understand is complaining  that certain people made  naughty remarks when
you said certain  things but did not make any  unnice comment when others
said other things. Don't forget  that the First Amendment guarantees your
constitutional right to getting flamed :-)

  Eric