"Peter C.S. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 May 1999 09:43:47 -0400
Brian Lingard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Wow that is a huge amount of non-renewals.

Not necessarily. When I took over the PAGEMAKR list, it had become topheavy
with bad addresses, lost lambs set on permanent NOMAIL, etc. I remember the
first day as owner, my account quota filled up with bounce messages, and I
thought my act of public service was going to get me fired. The first chance
I got (I had to request a quota increase just to delete enough messages to
make enough space to send mail!) I instituted quarterly renewals with the
first one that week. I "lost" something like 1,100 addresses, but renewals
(and a change to SEND=PRIVATE) changed the list from anarchy to order almost
immediately. It took a year but subscriptions slowly crept back up to the
original level, probably as people realized the list had become manageable.

--
Peter C.S. Adams <[log in to unmask]>