Lissa Mosley <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Jun 1994 07:03:09 -0400
Nate Tassler <ST001535%BROWNVM.BITNET> said:

> Regardless of whether or not people can post through the gateway,
> I just don't understand where you're coming from because your
> list is set so that anyone can subscribe.  Send= Private means
> that anyone, once subscribed, can post, but if you allow anyone
> to subscribe, why does it make any difference to you whether or not
> they read the list through a gateway or by subscribing directly?
>
> If there were some problem with people reading through the gateway who
> you did NOT want to post to the list, then maybe you'd have a case.
> As it is, I just don't see why you fear a loss of control from
> a gateway when you have just as much potential by having open
> subscription.

I don't mean to beat this subject into the ground, -- I'm done after
this, but ...

Yes, you're absolutely correct about the potential problems with an open
subscription. However, I have the ability to remove individual subscriptions
from hostile, compative posters.   In a gatewayed situation where large
numbers of people could post through one subscription, I would have to
remove the entire gateway were I to have a problem with an individual
poster.

There's also a volume issue which I don't quite know how to deal with.  I
don't want a list with 100+ postings a day.  I've made a point of *not*
publicising the list in highly trafficed places (such as USENET) for
just that reason.  I understand that I'm on thin ice here, but it *is*
a concern.

Bye the way, is there any way to find out where a list is being
gatewayed?

Lissa Mosley