Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 21:12:00 -0800
>Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:42:37 -0500
>From: Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>

>Bounce doesn't work on most systems, even though it often generates the
>correct header lines, because in general you aren't allowed to edit the
>bounced message before you send it, and our lists edit every message in
>some way.

I first read messages as Editor with a version of Unix mail that does
permit editing* the message in the incoming queue and then
leaving it there. Then, using PINE, I bounce the messages (because
my version of "mail" doesn't have a Resent/Bounce).

Of course, if you really are editing the messages, then it is really
considered good form to acknowledge that in the message itself. Otherwise
the Editor is representing his editing as the original work of the
original author of the message --that's bad form. The Resent-by: field
isn't sufficient notice, in my estimation, to warn a reader that the
message isn't _really_ that of the original author.

>Thanks for further insights from me and others moving to the UNIX
>environment.  I think compatibility between Listserv and offline
>mail programs is going to be a growing concern for owners, and
>would appreciate any news you have about developments in this area.

There are often lots of tools on Unix systems, so while you might
need to skin the cat, there are the proverbial many ways to do that
on Unix.

* For example, I use one or another versions of the longtime "mail"
program of Unix. While one is viewing the list of incoming messages,
one can type "v" on a particular message to enter the "visual" editor
(i.e., your favorite full-screen editor). Then you edit the message and
write it back out. The incoming message has now been edited --it is no
longer the same. If you then quit "mail" (without allowing the
viewed/edited message to be saved) and go into PINE, you can bounce
that edited message. (I haven't explored thoroughly whether it is
possible to edit a message in PINE and then bounce it.  My cursory
attempt some time back to do so failed, so I resorted to old tricks....
Going in and out of "mail" and into PINE is quick enough for my needs.
(Maybe PINE was written so that the ethical dilemma of representing
a bounced edited message as that of the original author would not be
necessary to face??)
Peter