Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:20:11 -0600
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, maxdog wrote:

> I agree but that's where we are. I don't blame the university either. Why should

I don't blame the university either, but some have backed their listowners
to the hilt.  Offhand I think of Anita in Arizona.  She stood her ground
and was backed by the university despite attacks via every avenue the
person could get a lead to, personal, list, machs nicht, whatever.  Of
course she did not get through it unscathed; lasted for at least a year
and the emotional toll on her and her family was heavy.  But that is one
of the things every listowner faces every day.  Knowing you are conducting
your list properly and that your university will stand behind you in such
situations because you have always handled your lists properly does ease
the mind a bit but the listowner is always at risk out at the end of the
limb.

Yes, of course, must be honest about potential problems when investigating
a new host site as that is a two way street.  Then again, would want a
site where the listowner is free to maintain the list as sees fit,
with in *very* broad boundaries.  It is rather difficult for me to talk
about this as I have always had the luxury of having a good host site
and no subscribers who have ever tried to go after me.  Jim G. would
have backed me up, I'm sure, he did Maureen, but I don't know about the
new admin, should the situation arise.

Douglas