"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 09:29:00 EDT
The FROM: field that appears on recipients' received list
distributions is not strictly based on the originator's
FROM: field.

I just did a test on a local listserv and discovered that
my unadorned FROM: field (NOT as above) was rewritten
with my local LISTSERV-registered name field.  That
local name was created some time ago when I has issued
a LISTSERV

REGISTER firstname lastname ...

Though I have NOT verified it, if I had done a more recent SUBSCRIBE
via that LISTSERV with another name description, that might have
been the name LISTSERV filled-in on my test distribution.

Finally, what name that a recipient sees is a function of what
is sent in various fields and how the receiver's mail agent software
is programmed/configured.

All bets are off.

- --  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask]        "Are you E-mail Diverse?"       +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. --   Penn State    -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA