Melissa Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 May 1999 22:27:48 -0700
There has been an interesting discussion here about whether or not to let
users know they are on Review.  Just from my experience, I want them to
know.  Not only that, but also I want them to know why they are on Review,
and what they can do to get taken off Review.

Fyi, below is from the message sent to all new subscribers on one of my
lists.  I have found it to be very effective in preventing hurt feelings
and confrontations.

Melissa Paul
Arabhorse-L

____________________

New members may serve a probationary period during which time their posts
will be read and approved by one  of the List editors prior to appearance
on the  List. This is  known as being on  "Review". As ARABHORSE-L  is an
unmoderated  list,  the List  editors  only  have  the choice  of  either
accepting or  rejecting a post  in its entirety.  They may not  alter the
contents. However, they  may write to the poster and  request that he/she
change something  in the post  and then  resubmit it. This  most commonly
happens  because  of  a  technical  problem with  the  message  (such  as
including  images,  Winmail.dat files,  or  html  coding) or  because  of
overquoting.  Review is  also used  to prevent  someone from  joining and
posting  an advertisement  and to  prevent a  "troller" from  joining and
posting inflammatory material in order to start a flame war.

Other  list members  may  have their  account set  to  Review because  of
technical problems (see  above), overquoting, or flaming. In  the case of
flaming (and depending on the severity  of it), the list member's account
may stay  on Review  indefinitely. On  the other  hand, if  the technical
problems are  fixed or the  overquoting ceases,  then the account  may be
taken off Review. The List Owner would prefer that no one on the List was
on Review!