Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:29:44 -0500
"Ingrid H. Shafer" <[log in to unmask]> said:

> It should be a matter of policy for iaf.net to INFORM
> every address-holder of the fact that s/he will be listed unless
> s/he objects within let's say ten days.

Hey! Now *that's* another very workable solution.  Of course, with 3
million addresses, like Eric says, that's an awful lot of mail through
their part of the hose.  Still, it *would* give them the means to verify
addresses as *current* and functioning which would increase the value of
their service.  Of course, they'll also need to remove all the addresses
they have that result in bounced mail when they are used, but again, that
increases the value.

I *would* say that such a solicitation message from IAF directly to each
address should contain information about the sources of how they got the
address to begin with so that the recipient doesn't freak out.  Heck, they
may even be surprised to find they are on some long lost list set to
NOMAIL that they need to clean up.

However, it's all dependent on IAF really wanting to do it right and we'll
have to wait and see about that.

Cheers

Mark Hunnibell                  Email: [log in to unmask]
KIDLINK Gopher/WWW Coordinator  http://www.connix.com/~markh/index.html