Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:14:33 -0500
On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, John Barr wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> For a long time, on many lists, the Review command would get you a list of
> everyone subscribed and their address, unless they took the time to set
> their subscription for conceal.  It seems that very few lists allow that
> command now, or they return the short version with basic list information
> only, owner, parameters, etc.
>
> Is this a conscious choice on the part of most list owners, or does the
> latest version automatically send the short review to all but the owners?

    Conscious decision.  At the start my list had REVIEW =PUBLIC
   and anyone, subscriber or not, could get the subscription list.
   Useful if your were trying to find the email address of someone
   you thought was probably subscribed to that list.  I got the
   subscription lists of several lists for that purpose.

   As spamming began to become a nuisance we changed to REVIEW =PRIVATE
   but realized that that was not particularly effective as anyone
   could subscribe, get the subscription list, and then unsubscribe.
   So now we have REVIEW =OWNERS     If anyone can persuade me that
   he or she has a valid need for some subscription information I am
   glad to provide it to them but I have rarely received such requests.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh