"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:04:27 -0400
Hoping you'll all be able to help me somehow.

I guess the first thing I should do is point you to one of my web pages to
give you some idea as to why I'm asking my questions, so if you can, go to
http://daniel.drew.edu/~galperin/folks.html

After that, I want to ask your advice about how to deal with a potential
situation in our list which we have been discussing amongst ourselves.
Given that we do not wish to allow proffessionals, or the idle curious,
into our list (this fact was agreed to before the list was even founded),
is there a less risky way to allow proffessionals into our group without:

1.  creating list subcatagories  (this seemed to recieve some critism from
some people in the list based on prior experiances with other lists some
of us have been on)

2.  to subscribe such a person to the list and have them set to NOMAIL
(which they themselves can override)?

I guess what I want is a subscription option for such people so that they
would only be allowed to post to the list, but not recieve mail from the
list.  Is there any possible way to do this securely?

If any of you are able to help, please CC a copy to me directly at

Thanks in advance

Glenn Alperin

P.S.  If you follow the links from that page, and are curious, please do
not hesitate to ask me any questions about the material there, but if you
choose to do so, please send that to me directly as this list is not the
place for that type of communication.