Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:18:35 -0500
Here's the latest on what caused today's set of duplicates.  It
appears they think they have it fixed at UIC.  Does anyone
know what they may have done wrong, or if there is any
defense against someone else doing this?

We are buried in complaints and signoffs from our lists, since
much of our traffic goes out via UIC.  I'd like to make
sure out own machine never does whatever theirs did, so I wonder
how you do get a UNIX listserv to resend messages over and over (and
how you make sure it never does it.)

Insights much appreciated.

Vickie Banks
H-NET Technical Assistance

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:38:30 -0600
From: Jim O'Leary <[log in to unmask]>
To: Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: More on Multiple Messages

Hello Vicky and Mark.

After checking into things I was told that our unix-based listerv caused
the problem yesterday when a file system it uses became full.  In theory
the problem was fixed at 7pm, but I'm told that you may still see such
mail coming that was already in the pipeline before it was fixed.  If the
"date:" header shows the message originated before 7pm on Tuesday then you
(and anyone else) will have to live with it.  If, however, you see a
problem where the "date:"  header shows that the original note was sent
AFTER Tuesday 7pm then there still may be a problem. In that case please
contact Bob Jackiewicz, ([log in to unmask]) who runs our listservers and send
him a copy of the headers.

Hope this helps, feel free to call or send email if you need any additional
information.

Jim O'Leary
University of Illinois at Chicago
Computer Center