Donald Good <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:12:40 -0500
Excuse me for NOT being off track, but the first writer [log in to unmask] was asking how to get subscribers set for REVIEW to be distributed among the owners in an Open (I assume an unmoderated) list.

An unmoderated list is one where there is no * Editor= keyword and
* Send= Private.

A moderated list is one where editors (e.g. W, X, Y, Z) are specified as
* Editor= W, Z, Y, Z  and * Send= Editor.

In both cases, there is a default moderator.  Assuming * Owner=  A, B, C, D for both cases, the unmoderated list moderator is A and the moderated list moderator is W.  So what does the * Moderator= keyword do?  It changes the default moderator, but it does not CREATE a moderated list.  The * Send= Editor creates a moderated list.

I assume th first writer [log in to unmask] has:
* Owner=  A, B, C, D
* Send= Private

What he/she wants is
* Owner=  A, B, C, D
* Send= Private
* Moderator=  A, B, C, D
or
* Owner=  A, B, C, D
* Send= Private
* Moderator=  ALL, A, B, C, D

The first will distribute a share of the REVIEWs to the listed moderators and the second will distribute each REVIEW to ALL the moderators, any one of whom may approve.

>>> Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]> 06/24 9:37 AM >>>
Excuse me for quoting all 3 messages, but I think everyone needs to follow
the thread.

Josie O'Brien misinterpreted what the first writer [log in to unmask] said,
and then Donald Good got further off the track.  The first writer was
asking about the effect of the Owner= keyword, not the Moderator= keyword.
He/she is describing the documented and expected performance of the Owner=
keyword, as described in Section 2.9 of the Listowners Manual, and
specifically in the second paragraph:

=====

2.9. Defining list owners

List owners should be persons who will undertake the responsibility of
managing the list in all of its aspects. A list owner may be a moderator; a
list owner may be called upon to determine why a user can't unsubscribe
from the list, or to handle delivery errors, or to fix other problems that
may arise.

The primary list owner (the first owner defined) has special
responsibilities as well. This owner is considered the Editor and the
primary Moderator for lists that have Send= Editor but do not have Editor=
or Moderator= defined. This owner receives all error messages when
Errors-To= is set to "Owner". In short, the primary list owner is generally
the person who is ultimately responsible for the workings of the list.

Secondary list owners fall into two categories: Quiet and non-Quiet.

Non-Quiet list owners receive mail sent to the listname-request address,
and will receive error messages if Errors-To= Owners.

Quiet list owners will never receive delivery errors or other
administrative mail from LISTSERV.

Here is a sample list header excerpt for a list with all three types of
list owners defined:

* Owner= [log in to unmask] (Nathan Brindle)
* Owner= [log in to unmask]
* Owner= Quiet:
* Owner= [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]

Figure 2.4. Example: How to define list owners in the list header file.

Note that all list owners defined after the * Owner= Quiet: line will be
quiet list owners.

You can define multiple owners on a single line by separating them with a
comma. Note that if you put "Quiet:" on a line with list owner userids, you
must place a comma after "Quiet:", e.g.

* Owner= Quiet:,[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]

There must always be at least one non-quiet list owner. Otherwise LISTSERV
sends all error messages and other administrative mail to the LISTSERV
maintainer by default.

=====

We do not use the Moderator= keyword on our lists.  However, we do have
multiple owners on all of our lists, with some having multiple addresses
defined.  I can attest to the fact that the Owner= keyword behaves exactly
as described in the manual.  Only the first owner defined receives the
errors and messages from subscribers set to REVIEW.

We did find a way around this.  We have several lists where we want the
REVIEW messages to always go to more than one owner.  We make extensive use
of aliases with our lists.  We defined one owner alias for each list in the
aliases file, e.g., XX-owner, with the real addresses of the appropriate
owners listed under the alias, and then defined the primary list owner in
the list header as the alias:

Owner= [log in to unmask]

We then define the real addresses of the owners in the Quiet owners
section, so that their addresses are recognized for list commands.

This performs for us exactly like what [log in to unmask] was asking for.
Also, it works equally well under both LISTSERV and LISTSERV-Lite.  Of
course, you must have the ability to use aliases to do this.

The one thing I am not sure of, based on the Listowners manual, is, if you
define multiple owners on a single line by separating them with a comma on
the first Owner= line, will this still consider only the first address as
the primary list owner, or will it look at all addresses listed on that
line?  Nathan, what say ye?

Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org