John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:15:17 -0400
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to subscribe a batch of 30 people to lists via a single email
> message.  The message contains an ADD command for each subscriber-list
> combination.  E.g.:
>
> ADD listname1 email_address1 fname1 lname1
> ADD listname2 email_address2 fname2 lname2
> etc

Not really the best way to accomplish this. I would suggest the bulk
method described in Chapter 4.4.

ADD listname1 DD=ddname  PW=yourpassword
//ddname DD *
email_address1 fname lname
email_address2 fname lname
email_address3 fname lname
/*

A separate job for another list:
ADD listname2 DD=ddname  PW=yourpassword
//ddname DD *
email_address1 fname lname
email_address2 fname lname
email_address3 fname lname
/*

Of course the easiest way is via the web interface 'Bulk Op.' menu (if
installed)

> The email is being sent from an account that has admin priveleges on the
> listserv server.  This account is not the same as the list
> owner/maintainer.  Note that I did not supply a password and did not get a
> msg indicating that I needed to.
>
> I'm having some problems:
> 1.  I get a return message for each ADD asking me (admin) to confirm that I
> want to add that person.

That is because you didn't use the PW=xxxxxxx  at the end of each line, or
use the method described in Chapter 4.4..
If you insist on doing this one line at a time, then use this method:

OK Begin
ADD listname1 email_address1 fname1 lname1
ADD listname2 email_address2 fname2 lname2
OK End

This will send one confirmation for all the commands included.

> This is a problem because the whole point of
> batching the subscriptions is that it is automated and doesn't require
> admin intervention to accomplish.  Note that I tried included //x JOB
> REPLY- TO=NONE before the ADD commands (with and without).  Also note that
> I can't make the commands QUIET (I dont think) because I need a welcome
> message to be sent to the subscribers.

Correct

> I would also like to require a  confirmation email from the subscribers.

You can't require confirmation from a subscriber if you use the ADD
command. The SUB command must be used from the subscriber's address.

> 2.  Even after confirming that I want to ADD the subscriber (by clicking on
> the weblink) and receiving a message indicating that I have successfully
> added that person, the subscriber whose email was listed in the ADD command
> never receives a welcome to the list message.

They should receive the contents of the $SIGNUP template which is imported
into the bottom of the ADD1 template. If you have added a "Welcome
Message", that should also be sent. Check the LISTSERV log which should
tell you these were sent.

> Finally, the lists have these settings:
> Validate =  Yes, Confirm
> Subscription = Open, Confirm
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

If you are trying to automate this (assume from a web page with a script)
and have subscribers confirm their subscription, then you need your script
to generate a message for each subscription using their address in the
From: field. Then simply this in the body:

SUB listname fname lname

This wouldn't take any admin intervention at all.