Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:57:49 -0500
I have approval on all subscriptions to my list, so this is really my
fault.  I have a subscription with a rather odd address.  The address is
invalid, and mail bounces.  Here's the entry from the daily monitoring
report (with the name "x"ed out):

498 01/15 01/27 xxxx xxxxxx <"a 203"@EROLS.COM>
                Last error: SMTP; 550 <"a 203"@mail0.erols.com>... User
unknown

Obviously it's the space in the username portion thats causing the
problem.  Accordingsly, I have tried every combination of single and
double quotes I could think of to delete this subscription.  Here are the
results:

> quiet delete classical "a 203"@EROLS.COM
Invalid option - "@EROLS.COM". The valid options are GLobal, LOCal and
TEST
(minimum abbreviations shown in upper case).

"a 203"@EROLS.COM is not subscribed to the CLASSICAL list.

> quiet delete classical ''a [log in to unmask]
Missing parameter - specify a target e-mail address.

> quiet delete classical 'a [log in to unmask]
a [log in to unmask] is not subscribed to the CLASSICAL list.
> quiet delete classical [log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask] is not subscribed to the CLASSICAL list.

As you can see, nothing has worked.  What have I missed here?  I'm
extremely hesitant to try and edit the subscription list on the fly with a
get header command.  Here's the result of a query for *@erols.com on my
list:

MAIL           You are sent individual postings as they are received
SHORTHDR       Short mail headers with only "human friendly" fields
               (formerly "SHORTBSMTP")
REPRO          You receive a copy of your own postings
ACK            Short e-mail acknowledgement of successfully processed
               postings
NOFILE         You do not receive a copy of NJE files sent to the list

Subscription date: 15 Jan 1997

Dave
http://www.classical.com/