Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:42:37 -0700
At 12:19 AM 1/16/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Which brings me back to my old plea of, could we have a printed
>1.8c manual, please?  A good one, with a good index please.  And
>for "good index" please do not use the indices in most computer
>manuals as a guide for a good index as all the ones I have seen
>are abysmal.

I don't get it.   Are you finding the 1.8c manuals, in a variety of
formats, including Word, ascii, and others, available on the lsoft web site
to be inadequate?  You can printem and bindem and have a really firstclass
resource.

>I've said all this many times before, and I'm going to continue saying
>it.  I want a good printed manual (loseleaf notebook style for ease of
>installing updates would be fine) and I am willing to pay for it,
>as long as there is a good index (see Isaac Asimov's nonfiction books
>for examples of good indices).

The index isn't bad, though may not meet your standards, I suppose.  I'd
not bother with looseleaf nonsense, since the world is way past that.  When
a new revision comes out, I'll just download it, dump it to my LaserJet,
and get it bound again.  Paper is  a couple bucks.  The binding about a
buck.  Not worth my time to do change pages.

cheers

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.