Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 05:16:15 -0700
Some lists use charters and by-laws where some actions can be
sanctionned by cutting post, cutting access or even banning from the
list... One could then sub by owner, send the Charter and By-Laws which
(at the end) give some indications (sometimes faked) that to sub they
must quote the following lines at some address (Thus indsuring that
prospective list members have read so far). It can work for pro lists...
On "social" lists such a procedure would probably generate enough
"flames and administrativia" that it could jeopardize the list future...

The IQ Test ? Have them quote a message that they have to access via the
database function ... I never got it to work :-) (Job DD * Search
bla,bla thing).

I had some success in pointing people who used to do that "quoting a
spam" and complain to the list thus punishing the list and not the
spammer... I pointed them to L-Soft spamoramma page ... Some wrote to
abuse@ ... And we got 3 out 10 spammers terminated (or so their ISP
says). Ah! The guy that can implement a keyword like
Spam= [ no | Ignore | yes_please ]
This person would become billionnaire quickly (and will probably have a
mansion near Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy(sp?) and the Boogie Man,
alas!)

We do still have "spamming" thread BLUES-L is a social list, very
free-formed, so humor and parody always follows SPAMS like "Gay Escort
Service in DC" or "??? Penis enlargment ???" ... Some if which is
delightly funny if they don't quote the original...

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L