Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 14:30:32 +0200
On     Mon,     30     Jun     1997    22:09:02     +1000     David     M
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Is there any way that it can fork some special (like an admin server) to
>handle administrative  email, such  as those  from Postmasters  and List
>owners, and eventually other commands such as subs and unsubs from users
>(even though the later is not priority)?

You can run  mail delivery in the background  by setting ASYNCH_SMTP="1",
which is a  new feature and not  tested on all systems.  Of course, while
LISTSERV then  processes incoming mail  very quickly (it doesn't  have to
wait for sendmail to accept it), sendmail doesn't deliver it any faster.

>In any case I still think that even if you run LSMTP to a certain extent
>this would be useful too, as eventhough  LSMTP is faster it still has to
>connect and deliver email).

This is not an  issue when you run LSMTP. Just send a  test note to, say,
[log in to unmask] during US prime  time, and count the seconds
before you  get your reply. This  machine delivers about 800k  messages a
day and also runs MAIL.EWORLD.COM on the same hardware (PP200).

  Eric