"Mendez, Rottman" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:52:36 -0400
Once again, thank you all this has been very helpful.

Rottman M. Mendez
Webmaster
ICF Consulting Group, Inc.
703.218.2545

-----Original Message-----
From: Winship [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 12:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Subscriber list with subscribe date

Pete Weiss wrote:
> In order to include the concealed subscribers (if any)
>
> REV listname ALL BY DATE NOH

Well, I never use the ALL as I don't have any CONCEAL subscribers.  For
a list set REVIEW= Owner (and all of my lists have that keyword setting)
the CONCEAL subscriber option is nothing but a nuisance to the
listowner.
At least once per month I quietly change all new CONCEALs to NOCONCEAL,
on my lists.

In my experience, most people who set CONCEAL think it hides the
subscription from *everyone*, including listowners and host site
administrators, which it does not.  When it is explained to them that,
with
a REVIEW= Owner list, only the listowner(s) and the host site
administrator
can see the subscription/address, *and* that those can see the
information
even if the subscription is set CONCEAL, they don't quibble about it.
They
unsub (they don't want *anyone* to know they are subscribed) or accept
the
assurance that non-authorized people do not have access to the
subscription
list and that subscribing to the list does not grant such access.

Of course, there is the irony of those adamant about having their
subscriptions set CONCEAL yet post up a storm on the list, from the same
address (how are you concealed?).

I, of course, do use the CONCEAL option for lists to which I am
subscribed
where REVIEW=   is not restricted to the owner(s), and subscription is
OPEN.

Douglas Winship
NOTICE:
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of this e-mail by you is prohibited.