Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 23:50:54 EST
On Sat, 13 Jan 1996 21:45:56 -0600 Lawrence J. Clark said:
>File "GATSBY-L WELCOME" is unknown to LISTSERV, PUT request rejected.

OK, you're almost there.  Before you can store a file you have to tell
LISTSERV to expect it.  You do this by creating an entry in GATSBY-L FILELIST.
This is a brief summary of the steps.  Not sure if I'm insulting you by making
it too elementary or confusing you by leaving to much stuff out, but it's a
start, at least.

First get the GATSBY-L FILELIST
Since you're on a VM system you can do this either by interactive message, or
you can do it by mail.  In any event, the command is GET GATSBY-L FILELIST (CTL
Don't forget the (CTL option!

If you get a message that the filelist doesn't exist, I'm afraid you'll have
to go back to your LISTSERV maintainer and get one created.

If the filelist exists, it will be sent to you.  Get it onto your disk and
add a line to it as follows:

   GATSBY-L WELCOME  ALL OWN

Now send the list back to LISTSERV with the PUT command (either with LSVPUT
or by sending mail with the PUT command on the first line followed by the
filelist.)

The line you added tells LISTSERV that the GATSBY-L WELCOME file will be
forthcoming and that eveyone can GET the file but only the list owner can
store it.

Now try and PUT the welcome file.

Bill
City University of New York