Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 May 1995 06:20:14 +0200
Assuming these laws  pass, which is unlikely, what  would probably happen
is that the lists would move to countries which do not have such laws. If
I run a list in Sweden with Canadian subscribers, the Canadian government
can consider me responsible  for what people in Spain post  to my list on
the basis that it reached Canadian soil, but there isn't much they can do
about it. In  fact it would probably be perfectly  legal for Canadians to
purchase this service  from me so that they can  keep running their lists
without  having to  worry about  these  new laws.  Many Canadian  service
providers would  open an office  in the US and,  having had to  open this
office, find it  profitable to locate their income there  so they can pay
less taxes. Five or six years later the Canadian government would realize
that the  net result is  less tax money and  remove the law.  There would
only be a  serious problem for Canadian  users if both Canada  and the US
passed  the same  law,  since  it is  far  less  convenient for  Canadian
businesses to relocate to other countries.  But if past experience is any
indication, the  very fact that  it passed in  Canada would make  it very
unlikely that it would pass in the US ;-)

  Eric