"Lawrence J. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:55:22 -0600
Hi all,

Yes, I'm still alive--our Web server crashed and I'm teaching three online
courses and have been rebuilding all my web pages, then we got a new mail
system (HP OpenMail--not my choice) . . . thanks to all for your advice on
welcome files--I'll be working on that this weekend hopefully.

Anyway, now that my student lists are back in action, I'm having a problem.
One of my lists, Gatsby-L, is generating beaucoups of error messages.  This
morning I had 144 messages and only 21 were 'real"--the rest were error
messages.  Most of them are saying that "this message was undeliverable to
XX server because XX is not a known user.

I've been just deleting them because I thought that listserv would
automatically delete these users after 4 days, but this is not happening.
Now every time a list member sends a message to the list, I get hit with
error messages from 10-12 domains such as aol, compuserv, several .edu's
etc.  And now my list members are getting "undeliverable" messages
also--even though their message gets out to the list . . .

What should I do?  Manually go in and delete all the users specified as
"unknown"?

As always , advice appreciated,

Larry
Lawrence J. Clark
http://mail.nhmccd.cc.tx.us/people/ljc/index.html
listowner: Amlit2-L, Amlit1-L, Gatsby-L, Tekcom-L