"Peter C.S. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:03:18 -0500
Paul Heller wrote:
> We are having difficulty with long URLs that carry over to two lines in a
> Listserv message.

Paul, my apologies for writing so late. I saw your message in the digest
along with numerous replies and assumed you'd get a useful reply, but it
looks like you didn't. Unless you are sending HTML, it is the e-mail
*client* that sees http://www.whatever and interprets it as a URL. Most
realize that a line break cannot be part of a URL and assume that's where it
ends. My suggestion is to enclose the URL in angle brackets, like this:

<http://music.cnet.com/music/0-1652424-8-7761094-2.html?tag=st.mu.1652424-8-
7761094-1.subdir.1652424-8-7761094-2>

The IETF standard for a URL includes mention of the brackets, so your email
program should read the whole thing as one URL. Support for this, alas, is
controlled by the email client, so some will work and some won't.

--
Peter C.S. Adams <[log in to unmask]>