Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 12:46:25 -0400
>        Thanks for your response.  I'd like to be sure I understand
>this correctly.  Are you saying that if I send back to LISTSERV a
>reply containing one word, OK, without the message itself, LISTSERV
>will send the message on to the list in such a way that no one reading
>the message will know that I reviewed it first?  Pete Weiss helpfully
>pointed out that the SENDER will be notified privately by LISTSERV,
>but what about all the other people on the list?  Will there be some
>kind of prefatory statement, or will the message just look like any
>other message that's sent to the list?  I ask in part because

On our list, any message that is OKed by the editor contains an
"approved-by" line in its header to that effect.  Both of these lines
appear in a posting by John Smith:

Approved-By: John Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Approved-By: Bob <[log in to unmask]>

I haven't checked this recently, but this is the way I remember seeing
it.  I'm not sure if this will look any different from the header in a
list that is moderated.  The line:

Approved-By: Bob <[log in to unmask]>

does not appear in a posting that was posted without first having to be
OKed.  I set subscribers to REVIEW for any number of reasons.  Usually
simply to keep an eye on a newbie who keeps making mistakes or to watch out
for someone who has tried to post commercial announcements.  We
sometimes switch to full moderation for a week or two if problems seem
to be getting out of hand.  We certainly don't intend that any stigma be
attached to REVIEW.

Bob
 Robert Ponterio                  | [log in to unmask]
 co-manager of FLTEACH            | State Univ. of New York Cortland
 Foreign Language Teaching Forum  -----------------------------------
 http://www.cortland.edu/www/flteach/