"Janusz S. Bie/n" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Aug 1992 08:59:42 CET
I am a recent victim of a guy who becomes famous by using networks to
widely distribute offences and accusations supported by
misinformations. The incident started on a BITNET list; I found the
owner's attitude, although principally correct, too liberal in
practice, so I signed off.

Those subscribers who recognized the absurdity of the accusations
were unanimous in their advice to ignore the offences. However, I
have learnt from them that the guy is posting his accusations to at
least one USENET group (I have no USENET access although I know
a server allowing me to post to it by mail). He might be posting
them also to list/groups/people I am even not aware of.

Does it make any sense to contact the postmaster of the guy (assuming
that the guy is not the postmaster in his institution - this is to be
checked)?  First of all, if the postmaster agrees that the guy
misbehaves, what he/she can and should do about it? Secondly,
although I think I can prove my case by quoting the relevant postings
(it is a pity I cannot count on the support of the owner of the list
where the problem started), can the postmaster be expected to have
time and willingness to look into it?

If you advice me to contact the postmaster (what I rather doubt),
please remind me how to find the postmaster's address for a given
Internet node (the guy's address belong to the gov domain).

Thanks

Janusz S. Bie/n
Institute of Informatics, Warsaw University