Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:53:11 -0700
On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:50:33 -0400, Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]> said:

<snip>

> If your site administrators think this is desirable, they can create their
> own mailing aliases locally that forward to the full addresses.
>
> Probably the best use for them would be in the header or footer or in the
> welcoming message, where you could do something like:
>
> To leave the mailing list, send a blank message to <a
> href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">
> [log in to unmask]</a>.
>
> I think most of the big mail clients would allow you to just double-click
> on the mailto address, getting around the typo problem.
>
> -jwgh

I would suggest a variation of what Jacob suggested.  If your ISP provides
you with the availability of aliases, you can get around the long string
command by assigning aliases for these functions.  We have unlimited
aliases included with the level of service we have with our ISP.  We use
short aliases for the much longer commands for all of our lists.  We also
include these aliases in the Bottom Banner of the lists, so that they are
available on every list message.

After reading Ben's original message yesterday, I set up and tested two
new aliases:

       for

and  [log in to unmask]
       for

Both aliases and the related functions worked as expected.

I noticed two byproducts of the use of these commands.

For the subscribe command, there is no ability to add a "Real Name" entry,
since LISTSERV doesn't read the body of the message.  For those of us who
require "Real Name" entries, this is a problem we must deal with.  I
purposely entered a fictitious name in the message body.  LISTSERV did
ignore that, and it picked up my name entry from my e-mail program setup.
This may be OK if the person enters their real name in the setup.
However, many people use some type of nickname or pseudonym in their's.
Also, you run into the problem with AOL subscribers and the like whose
e-mail software doesn't retain and send any name entry.

For the signoff command, it generated a Command Confirmation Request.  I
had to send the OK reply message in order for the request to be processed.
 Apparently, LISTSERV is treating this type of signoff message the same
way that it does with those generated by the web interface.

I have a related question for Ben Parker or whoever else can answer it.
Is this functionality available in LISTSERV-Lite, or is it only in the
full LISTSERV product?  We are operating several of our lists on our own
server under LISTSERV-Lite.  I just set up aliases for one of these lists
and attempted to use the subscribe command.  I received this error message:

(expanded from: <[log in to unmask]>)

550 weecare-l-subscribe-request@eeadopt.org... User unknown

Since it worked on the other address, which is run on the full version of
LISTSERV at SJU, I would assume that the reason this didn't work is
because of LISTSERV-Lite.  Is this correct?

==
Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org