"Paul M. Karagianis" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:28:24 EST
On Wed, 3 Apr 1996 09:35:19 EST David Avery said:
>> I'm also interested in statistics from the LISTSERV manager's point
>> of view.  We are pushing 400 lists on our server with no way to
>> manage them.  I would like to have daily, weekly, and monthly
>> reports on each list showing number of subscribers, number of posts,
>> number of bounce messages, and bounces per post.  I need to know if
>> the list owners are doing their job.  I'm also interested in reports
>> on file usage and automatic pruning of archives.
>>

>Like a lot of places, we are on a fiscal year budget rolling over on
>July 1.   So every spring I have to submit a request for what I need
>to spend and a justification for each item in my budget.  And every
>year my boss says the same thing about listserv:  how many lists?
>how many subscribers?  how many in the local domain?  how many
>postings to each list? how many bounces on each list?  how much cpu
>did it consume? how much disk and ram?

Amen.

Sigh.  I just hate it when someone puts in a long quote and then just
adds "Yeah!" or "Right On!", but the point was made by LSoft during the
Great Error Digest Debates that the community didn't make an impressive
enough amount of consenting noise.  SJU added a dedicated LSMTP engine
to lighten the load on Listserv's creaking 4381 SMTP's and has seen the
locally handled traffic go up by a factor of 4 in 6 months, with the
10% or so of residue once again bogging down the 4381.  I have no idea
what the composition of that residue is, and we lack the manpower to
assign these kinds of hobbist chores to.  And it really is personally
embarrasing to tell people that we serve a subscriber base of around
25,000 I, uh, think, based on the record counts of the signup files,
allowing for a overlap of single subscribers across multiple lists which
I derive from a gut feeling and "make fuzzy" using the height of the Diet
Cherry Coke in my cup at the time I'm asked the question.
                                              -Kary