Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 14:55:58 -0500
> Please clarify the following: Do I have to necessarily  HOLD the list, and
> secondly, do I update before midnight on the 31 of Dec or after,  to get the end
> result I want.  Thirdly, I guess the "correct time"  is based on what my computer
> reads and not that of the host server.

The procedure that Pete is suggesting is to hold the list prior to
midnight on Dec. 31, change the Notebook parameter to Weekly in the
list header any time after the list is held, then, after midnight of
Dec. 31, free the list.  The importance of holding the list depends on
how busy it is.  If you don't hold the list and a message is sent to
the list at the wrong time, you will get a log file created that you
don't want.

An alternative to holding the list is to use the Prime keyword in the
list header.  It specifies times when messages are not to be processed.
So anytime between now and Dec. 31, set it to something like

   Prime= "FRI-SAT: 00:00-23:59; SUN-THU: -"

Then on Friday or Saturday, change the Notebook parameter and remove
the Prime parameter.  Any messages sent between midnight Dec. 31 and
the time you make the change will then be processed (on the next hour).

It's LISTSERV's idea of the time that's important here, not your
computer's.

It's also not too hard to fix the log after Dec. 31.  Here are the
steps:

(1) Hold the list (in case any messages come in while you are doing
this).

(2)  Change the Notebook parameter in the list header.

(3) Get the January log with the command

         GET listname LOG9901 PW=yourpassword

(4) Put it back as a weekly log with the command:

         PUT listname LOG9901A PW=yourpassword
         (the log file)

(5) Delete the monthly log with the command

         PUT listname LOG9901 PW=yourpassword

(6) Free the list.

Obviously, if no messages have been processed since midnight Dec. 31,
then there will be no January log file and you can omit steps 3-5.

The downside to doing it this way is that if there are long lines in
the log file and your mail client wraps long lines, those lines will be
wrapped in the new log file.