"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:01:39 -0500
>Another list owner recently told me that he was avoiding activating the web
>archive interface on his lists out of fear that if the interface were
>active, professional spammers could use it to "mine" for e-mail addresses,
>just as they do to capture addresses on usenet groups.
>
>I can understand why someone might set review= private or owner to prevent
>this kind of trouble, but I have never heard of a problem stemming from the
>archives being available.  I mean, if someone really wanted the addresses
>that badly, they could just subscribe to lots of lists and then capture
>posters' addresses
>as they came through.
>
>Is this a legitimate concern?  If so, how big a one?

Yes, it ius a legitimate concer, but a list-owner can divert such
problems, if deemed neccesary, by setting the subscription by owner
keyword,

* Subscription= By Owner

thus any attempt to subscribe to the list would have to go
through a person first, and spammers don't really want to deal with
people.  They just want to spam.  As a result, most will not have much
oppertunity if you set your list up in this way.

As far as the archives, if you set your list to

* Send= Private

such a limitation will also be placed on the archives of the list.

Glenn