"Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 May 1996 13:40:04 -0700
I have several lists that we do not wish to keep log files for.  However,
we do keep them, since you must have a log file in order to have a digest
option on your list.  But these log files are never referred to at all.
The lists are all "Owner Digests".  I have 3 such Owner Digest lists now.

We can delete the log files by hand, but it would be neat if there were a
way to delete them automatically.  Does listserv have anything like
that?  This is similar in a sense to how Pine, for example, will save off
your old sent-mail folder at the start of a new month, but ask you about
deleting old ones, to try to save disk space.

And as the net grows - as everything grows - the size of log files grow.
I know that hard disks also 'grow' in size, but we have seen disks fill
up; it seems reasonable to delete things that are not needed.

Basically, the log file is needed because of digests; so after the last
digest is formed for a month that is ending, the log could just be
deleted by listserv.  That would be ideal.

Kevin

Kevin J. Sinclair, email [log in to unmask], USA Pacific timezone = -8 GMT