LISTSERV Administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:30:37 EST
On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:00:31 -0500 Peter Weiss said:

>From time to time, I have communicated with all of our
>site's list-owners.  The results of such a communication
>usually generates:
>
>1) bounces because userid and/or host no longer exist

I file these and then go through and either nuke the list with
the non-existent owner (okay, well, I "hide" it from LISTSERV)
or contact the next co-owner to see if they want to keep the list
up.  If not, it's history.  I also go through once a year and
make the owners "renew" their lists for another year.  No renewal,
list goes bye-bye.  (It helps in that we require all lists to have
a local primary list owner...)

>2) additional questions about the specific message (I guess
>   that's part of the normal communication process)

Almost always.  I know that when I don't hear, either a) I did a
*fabulous* job of telling them something or b) they don't care
in the least.  Neither scenario has happened yet.  *grin*

>3) questions as to why I e-mailed the message to them,
>   even though it had a preface that indicated it was
>   to ALL list-owners hosted by the site (some list-owners
>   are unaware that they are list-owners)

I've only had this happen once.  A faculty member who had agreed
to sponsor a list for a student organization (and I had the
signed request in my files).

>4) unrelated questions to me just because I "opened" the
>   door to communications

Always.  But then I get those even when I haven't sent mail to
all the owners, too.  :-)