For students who will most likely one day use email for marketing or
business purposes, it is never too early to learn about the best practices
and legal requirements of email list communication. Legal requirements
define a minimum standard of conduct that must be followed by anyone who
uses email for marketing or business purposes. These legal requirements vary
in different countries. The main laws include the CAN-SPAM Act in the United
States and the EU Opt-In Directive in the European Union. The most notable
difference between the two is that the CAN-SPAM Act is an opt-out law, which
means that commercial email may be sent to anyone without permission until
the recipient requests that the messages stop. The EU Directive, on the
other hand, is an opt-in law, which means that email messages may be sent
only to recipients who have given their prior consent.
Other than the above difference, both laws require:
* An accurate subject line that reflects the true message content
* Accurate sender and return email addresses
* Clear and easy opt-out or unsubscribe instructions in every message
* A valid physical postal address
However, as with everything, it is always better to do more than just the
bare minimum. Following the best practices of email list communication will
ensure that you not only stay on the right side of the law but also maintain
better relationships with your subscribers.
Important email marketing best practices include:
* When informing your target audience about your email lists, explain the
benefits of subscribing as well as the frequency of your mailings so that
your subscribers know what to expect.
* Always obtain prior permission through a double opt-in subscription
procedure before sending commercial email messages.
* Send an automated and well thought-out welcome message as confirmation to
* Only send the types of messages to your subscribers that they explicitly
signed up to receive.
* Include clear instructions in every message on how subscribers can opt out
or unsubscribe from future mailings.
* Send an automated and well thought-out farewell message as confirmation
once a recipient has unsubscribed.
For more details about legal requirements and differences between the
CAN-SPAM Act and the EU Opt-In Directive, visit:
For more details about email marketing best practices, download L-Soft's
white paper at:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:27:02 +0200, Joanne Valkwitch
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Dear EmailRules Community,
>I am a Business and Marketing educator of high school students.
>As an educator of the new generation of emailers, what are some
>basic rules that you think are essential for our young to know?
EmailRules - Discussion community for email communicators
Join, leave, post and read the archives at:
Contact the EmailRules list facilitators at: [log in to unmask]