EmailRules Community

Email Discussion Lists: Simply Powerful

Susan Faghani <[log in to unmask]>

EmailRules Community <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:25:09 +0200

Dear EmailRules Community,

With social networks and online communities an important part of daily
life for many, let's take a look at the email list component of
community building:  discussion lists.

In late June, L-Soft announced the grand prize winner in our LISTSERV
Choice Awards:  CrimEnet, or Crime Electronic Network.  Simply put,
CrimEnet is a LISTSERV(R) email discussion list linking some 320 law
enforcement personnel from 75 agencies across three states (Indiana,
Michigan and Ohio) to create a crime solving network.

CrimEnet founder and adminstrator, Captain Frank Anderson of
Indiana's St. Joseph County police department says CrimEnet
addresses an essential need:
"As we all know, criminals range across jurisdictional boundaries to
commit crimes. Therefore, my agency -- recognizing the value of our
time and the enormity of our caseloads -- created a LISTSERV email
list to promote easier interagency communication."

It sounds so simple, yet its effects are nothing less than powerful,
with numerous crimes solved, suspects taken into custody and
warrants issued (not to mention the increased collaboration between
law enforcement personnel that will reap dividends well into the
future).

While CrimEnet, by necessity, is a closed (or private) list (password
protected, in fact), there is a wide range of options for discussion
lists, including open/public as well as moderated vs. unmoderated.

CrimEnet is a model for real-time information sharing across state and
proscribed boundaries that can be used and expanded upon by other
law enforcement agencies as well as other organizations.

And the work that L-Soft customers are doing -- including previous
LISTSERV Choice Award winners such as cancer information and
support community ACOR (Association of Cancer Online Resources) and
global breastfeeding educator support network Lactnet -- demonstrate
some of the many ways that bringing people together, via email,
around a common goal can reap benefits.

Please share with us the ways the discussion lists you manage and/or
subscribe to make a difference in your world (or the world).  Do you
have ideas for additional ways that email discussion lists --
including EmailRules -- can make a positive contribution?

Best wishes for a great summer,
Susan Brown Faghani, L-Soft

Join, leave, post and read the archives at:
http://community.emailogy.com/archives/emailrules.html

Contact the EmailRules list facilitators at: [log in to unmask]