EmailRules Community

HTML Support in Outlook 2010

Jani M Kumpula <[log in to unmask]>

EmailRules Community <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:58:43 +0200

Anyone who has worked with designing, testing and sending HTML newsletters
can attest to the difficulties of getting them to render consistently across
different email clients. Web browsers that are unable to display
standards-compliant HTML are mostly a thing of the past. Email clients,
unfortunately, haven't been keeping pace. While there are some email and
webmail clients that do an excellent job of handling HTML (Thunderbird and
Yahoo! Mail come to mind), others have been lagging, in some cases even
regressing. I shared my frustration in an earlier posting on this list when
Outlook 2007 was released and it turned out that Microsoft had decided to
start using the limited rendering engine of Word rather than that of
Internet Explorer to display HTML email. All of a sudden, previously
reliable and tested HTML templates essentially stopped working for a large
segment of email users. I scratched my head wondering how a decision could
possibly be made that would allow a new version to be inferior to the old
one. Fast-forward two years to Outlook 2010. Surely things must be better,
right? Not so much. Microsoft is apparently sticking to its guns and has
confirmed that Outlook 2010 will continue to use Word's rendering engine for
displaying HTML email, knowing its limitations and how poorly it works.

The people behind the Email Standards Project, which is an organization that
promotes web standards support in email, even started a grassroots campaign
to convince Microsoft to change course, so far to no avail. Hopefully, the
continued pressure and media coverage can change this:

http://www.fixoutlook.org/

If web standards are important to you when selecting an email client, check
out the "State of the Clients" report from the Email Standards Project on
how various email and webmail clients are doing:

http://www.email-standards.org/

Jani Kumpula
Senior Webmaster/User Interface Designer
L-Soft

Join, leave, post and read the archives at:
http://community.emailogy.com/archives/emailrules.html

Contact the EmailRules list facilitators at: [log in to unmask]