Mark at the Univ of Cinti here

any suggestions/comments?   thanks

At 03:26 PM 10/17/2001 -0400, i wrote to L-soft support:
1. (asked previously, but not answered) How could i go about arranging list archives into alphabetical pages, so that they are updated automatically by Listserv ie A | B | C | D | E or A-C D-G H-K L-O ... we have over 600 lists on our system now, most with web archives  finding the list you want is a real pain
--
If you are networked, you can find your lists in order through the Catalist at: http://www.lsoft.com/lists/listref.html

It could be possible that someone else may have accomplished this, if you would like, you want to ask on the LSTSRV-L list, maybe someone will have some helpful tips for you there...

gotcha   will do   i have a feeling that the solution involves significant coding on my part

2. is Lsoft planning to introduce a keyword to limit the size of an attachment, based upon the its filesize? in KB or MB rather than line of ASCII text?

You can accomplish this by setting
* Sizelim= XXXX
In your list header... Making the X's whatever size you would like..

the SizeLim= keyword refers to lines of ASCII text   therefore it basically just counts ASCII end-of-lines

this keyword does not translate to lines in other document types    a 2-3 page Word document, for instance, easliy exceeds a SizeLim set to a thousand lines or more!   what i am looking for is a way to control the size of an attachment, regardless of filetype

3. is Lsoft planning to develop a feature for the Listserv web interface whereby a subscriber can add an attachment to a web posting - the attachment would be posted to the list archives, but not delivered to the subscribers - only a link to the attachment would appear in delivered message --
This suggestion will be passed onto our developers to be reviewed for our wishlist... but you may find that the next answer will provide you with what you want.

the idea is to allow messages with attachments to be posted, but the software is smart enough to pickoff the attachment,  put it in a list's file archives, and then just distribute the message with a hyperlink to the archived document   much less resource intensive than "PUSHING" files attachments out to subscriber inboxes

4. is Lsoft planning to develop a feature for the Listserv web interface whereby a subscriber can post files to and download files from a list's file archive - basic "internet file-sharing" capability would eliminate the need to "PUSH" a file attachment out to hundreds or even thousands of email accounts --
You can use LISTSERV as a file server in a way, but it
wouldn't be in the discussion archives. This is in Chapter 8 of the Site Maintainer's manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#8

i guess the answer to 1, 2,  3 and 4 is NO,  none of these features is available   are any of them under development/consideration?

bottom line:  "pushing" attachments out to subscribers is resource intensive,  in terms of disk space, processing power, and network bandwidth    i want to be able to post a document on Listserv, and then make it accessible via an internet browser, through a list's archive   this functionality is basically "internet file-sharing", but seems to be a natural extension of what Listserv already does   perhaps it is outside the scope of the software

please do    pass suggestions 1, 2, 3 and 4 along to your developers   it is my opinion that these features would be value added to the Listserv product

thanks for your help

Mark A Holmes
UCit . Educational Services
Software Engineer