thanks again Wayne

your auto-delete= settings may be the best thing going, because it reads exactly the same as what the L-soft technician suggested

my only concern:
does full-auto passive probing just delete bounce addresses immediately?
what about "temporary" type errors where the subscriber account is over-quota or the subscriber's email system is offline for some reason or produces some transient error?

OR does Full-Auto only delete subscribers when the host doesn't resolve or the username is unknown ?
(more "permanent" errors but could still be transient   i.e. - name service for the host could be interrupted temporarily)

do you modify the LSMTP delivery retry attempts and interval, to lessen unwarranted auto-deletion?

At 08:30 AM 11/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> so, you don't use the Renewal= at all?  how does your Auto-Delete= read?
>
> i guess i just need to add ,Probe() to my Auto-Delete and forget about the
> old "active" or renewal-type probing

If you don't need periodic renewal for some other reason, I think the
passive probes lead to a more professional result (subscribers aren't
bugged by useless (to them) messages.

Almost all of my lists are defined with something looking like:

   Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-auto,Probe(30)

cheers, wayne

Mark A Holmes
UCit . Educational Services