We recently upgraded SENDMAIL ... with no apparent adverse affects.
Then, at the end of March, we upgraded the Linux system. My
systems programmer gives me these number for new levels:

    sendmail RHL 7.3 system ...

    RHL sendmail 8.11.6 with backported security and lsoft patches

    glibc 2.2.5-43

The symptoms are hundreds of files in the LISTSERV spool directory
and people complaining that mail from LISTSERV is not arriving.

The relevant portion of my go.user contains

    SORT_RECIPIENTS=1

    TZONE=`date +%z`

    export TZONE

    MAXBSMTP=50

    export MAXBSMTP

    SMTP_RESET_EVERY=60

    export SMTP_RESET_EVERY

    SMTP_FORWARD_1="2*MURDOCH.UNET.MAINE.EDU"

    export SMTP_FORWARD_1

"Murdoch.unet.maine.edu" is the local "lists.maine.edu" LISTSERV
system. LISTSERV has not been changed in months.

The only thing I notice in listserv.log is at startup:

    Currently processed  10 files.

    Currently processed  20 files.

    Currently processed 1160 files.

    Currently processed 1170 files.

    3 Apr 2003 23:58:09 SIGNUP files are being compressed...

    3 Apr 2003 23:58:09 -> 7 entries removed.

    3 Apr 2003 23:58:09 Nearest NJE host is LISTSERV@CUNYVM

(Now there are 2300+ files waiting)

My systems programmer, in a quick look at his sendmail logs, says that
he thinks he is seeing just one 50-recipient mail on the couple of posts
that we tracked ...  that should have passed several 50-recipient items.
If I look in spool for one post, I see about 15 awaiting files with
various recipients, consecutively numbered.  The first recipient in the
oldest mail is "[log in to unmask]" which to me suggests there was another
.mail file that had been processed.

Any suggestions? Does this sound familiar?
--

Wayne T. Smith -- [log in to unmask] -- Systems Software Analyst
University of Maine System (UNET)