On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:38:01 -0400, Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We're running 1.8e.  It looks to me as though anybody going to
>
>http://listserv.unb.ca/archives/stlhe-l.html
>
>could just harvest the email addresses.

Yes they could with 1.8e and previous versions.

> What's 14.3?

The newest, recent release version of LISTSERV.  It was announced on LSTSRV-L

<http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0412&L=lstsrv-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=891>

and on L-Soft's Website:  http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv_143.asp

>If my email address were harvested from a
>list archive, how would I know that

You would receive more new and interesting spam at that email address.  Of
course if you have always had the same address for a long time, then you may
not notice this increase among all the spam you already get.  But it does
happen.

>and why would the list be affected?

The list itself probably would not.  But the email addresses of many list
members harvested would also receive more new and interesting spam.