(Re-arranging the order of your statements to facilitate answering)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:06:55 -0700, "Patrick B. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Also, I don't seem to see a decline in bounced / bad emails. I guess I
>need to document the bad emails to make sure they are getting bounced.

>I use the following statement in my config file.
>Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Probe(10)

The above setting also uses the default values Delay(4), Max(100).  Except in
a very busy list (50+ posts per day) these settings will not result in
auto-deletion because the limits will never be reached.

You need to set these values based on the mailing characteristics of your
list.

A list which mails announcements only once per week might have settings:

 Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(8),Max(3),Probe(10)

A list which mails announcements only once per month might have settings:

 Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(32),Max(1),Probe(10)

For Announcement lists (infrequent mailings) Delay should be the # of days
between mailings + 1 (Weekly = 7 days +1 = 8)

For active lists with daily postings (5+ per day), Delay should be 3 or 4 days
to allow for long weekends with no postings.

For any list Max(n) should be the max number of bounces you are willing to
accept before auto-deletion.  Some people want to hang onto subscribers,
others want to get rid of bad/doubtful addresses as soon as possible.  This is
a personal preference of the List Owner, perhaps modified by institutional
rules as well.

>I thought this statement held all bad emails until the next day, then
>sends out one report.

No, incoming bad emails are processed approximately when they arrive at
LISTSERV.  The Daily Monitoring Report is created and sent once per day, just
after midnight.