Hello,

I was hoping to get feedback from fellow Windows Listserv admins out there. We are currently running Listserv 16.0 Classic with IIS SMTP handling the mail delivery. We used to be on LSMTP but have switched as LSMTP was causing system instability. Since moving to IIS SMTP we have had 0 system crashes. While the system has been stable, we get annoyingly long delays between 6am until sometimes 9am, after the probes start to get sent out and occasionally throughout the day. The system’s CPU and RAM are both very underutilized (even during the delays) so I know I’m not running out of hardware. So my initial thoughts are that I need to adjust my IIS SMTP settings. This past Tuesday I had a tuning maintenance session that didn’t have much success so I pretty much put everything back to the way it was before. My question, to all the Windows Listserv admins that have similar load (see below) is, what are your IIS SMTP settings?

Some statistics of our environment:

Number of lists: 1863

Avg. number of postings / month (last 6 months): 12,885

Avg. number of recipients / month (last 6 months): 3,814,760

SMTP Mailer: IIS 6

IIS SMTP Settings :
Limit number of messages per connection to: 100

Limit number of recipients per message to: 100

Limit number of connections to: 1000

Limit number of connections per domain to: 500

I pretty much kept the default for what LSoft recommends in their install document with the exception of the limit number of connections per domain since I knew a lot would be going to our domain, kent.edu . I am also open to suggestions of using a different SMTP mailer. I’ve also read about people putting in a separate box just for handling the mailing part.

I’ve searched the archives and was unable to really find anything on this, so I apologize if I missed something. Any help, suggestions, or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

Colin Roach | Systems Administrator | Information Services Server Support | Kent State University
T: 330.672.4821 | F: 330.672.4023 |
[log in to unmask] | http://www.kent.edu/is/server