Hello.  I have a few questions about BANNERS that I can't seem to find the answer to in the documentation:

1) What is the difference and intended usage of the BOTTOM_BANNER vs. the DEFAULT_BOTTOM_BANNER templates?  I would have thought that DEFAULT_BOTTOM_BANNER was a site-wide default, with BOTTOM_BANNER being list specific, but when I look in a given list's MAILTPL file, I see both.  In what sort of circumstances should one use one over the other?

2) How does the <list>.MAILTPL file get populated when a new list is created?  Where are the true site-wide defaults kept from which these are copied?  (SITE.MAILTPL?  default.MAILTPL?  How these work in terms of which overrides which?)

3) What triggers the creation of the <list>.MAILTPL file at all?  Is one always created unconditionally at list creation time, or only if some kind of template modifications have taken place?  (On my system I have some lists that have a MAILTPL file and some that don't, and some of the ones that do are ones I know have not had their templates specifically modified.)

4) Does the "#" character have any special significance in a MAILTPL file?  As a comment delimeter, for example?  I have a MAILTPL file that looks like this:

>>> BOTTOM_BANNER Default bottom banner
.CS ISO-8859-1
To unsubscribe from the list:
&LISTNAME-signoff-request@&MYHOST

.hh on
##.BB &LITEFE = 0
## &*TICKET_URL(&LISTNAME_ENCODED,SIGNOFF);
##.ELSE
##&WA_URL;?SUBED1=&LISTNAME_ENCODED&A=1
##.EB
.hh off
Not surprisingly, it causes errors on messages about the ".hh" directive (which is invalid), but the "#" characters don't seem to show up either.  Maybe that's because of the directive error, but those prefix "##" look like someone thought it was a commend delimiter, so I just want to double-check before I fix it.

Thanks for any help.

-- John W. Manly  <[log in to unmask]>  (413)542-2641
   Systems and Networking Group,   Amherst College

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=LSTSRV-L&A=1