It doesn't necessarily mean that the USPS email account has been hacked/hijacked. It could be a simple case of spoofing the from address

On Nov 20, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Ian Fairclough wrote:

> LSTOWN-L readers:
> 
> The message below is very similar to the one I got recently, which I unfortunately didn't recognize as spam and which led to unfortunate consequences when I clicked on the attachment (which I have NOT included in this message).  It was sent from the address info AT usps DOT com - meaning that the USPS itself appears to have had its address hacked - and had me as well as numerous other recipients.
> 
> What's particularly tricky about this type of situation is that someone, somewhere (likely quite a few people) will actually have a situation that matches the one described - in this case, having sent a postal package on the said date - and be deceived.
> 
> A tip that all concerned might note: Often there is some form of non-standard English that can be identified.  As is the case in this message.  I'm not going to say what, in case the spammers read this - don't want to help them clean up their act!
> 
> This is just a heads-up.  Please feel free to pass this information on.  (However if you do so, I'd appreciate if you can omit my signature etc.) - Ian
> 
> Ian Fairclough
> George Mason University
> [log in to unmask]
> 703-993-2938 (office)
> __________________________
> Hello!
> 
> Unfortunately we failed to deliver the postal package you have sent on the
> 12th of November in time because the recipient's address is erroneous.
> 
> Please print out the shipment label attached and collect the package at our
> office.
> 
> United States Postal Service
> 
> To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list, click the following link:
> http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1
> 

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]