It doesn't necessarily mean that the USPS email account has been hacked/hijacked. It could be a simple case of spoofing the from address

On Nov 20, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Ian Fairclough wrote:

LSTOWN-L readers:

The message below is very similar to the one I got recently, which I unfortunately didn't recognize as spam and which led to unfortunate consequences when I clicked on the attachment (which I have NOT included in this message).  It was sent from the address info AT usps DOT com - meaning that the USPS itself appears to have had its address hacked - and had me as well as numerous other recipients.

What's particularly tricky about this type of situation is that someone, somewhere (likely quite a few people) will actually have a situation that matches the one described - in this case, having sent a postal package on the said date - and be deceived.

A tip that all concerned might note: Often there is some form of non-standard English that can be identified.  As is the case in this message.  I'm not going to say what, in case the spammers read this - don't want to help them clean up their act!

This is just a heads-up.  Please feel free to pass this information on.  (However if you do so, I'd appreciate if you can omit my signature etc.) - Ian

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
703-993-2938 (office)
Hello!

Unfortunately we failed to deliver the postal package you have sent on the
12th of November in time because the recipient's address is erroneous.

Please print out the shipment label attached and collect the package at our
office.

United States Postal Service

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list, click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1