Let me go right ahead and answer my own question, just so none of you waste your time.

Our list guru in the IT department, John Masciantonio, figured out the problem. I’m somewhat ashamed to admit this, but when I put the header, I used an HTML email, and thus I goofed up the formatting of the owner addresses. Of course, HTML messages are the main cause of all the problems I encounter here when supporting our list owners, so I should have thought of this. All I can say is, it was a busy day when I made the gork! Sigh…

Fixing the problem took superuser level authority to issue commands to the list (which is on a unix box).

Cheers,

-Chris

From: LISTSERV list owners' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christopher R. Wieman
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: lost ownership of my own list

Greetings-

The other day I changed a setting in the header of a list that I own. Immediately after successfully “putting” the changed header up, I was no longer able to review or get the list. The same is true for the other owners of this list. The list continues working, but somehow we’ve lost ownership. When I try to review the list, I get this message “You are not authorized to review the FACULTY list.”

The setting I changed should not (I believe) affect the list in this way. I simply changed the list from “Send=Public” to “send=Private”.

Does anyone have an idea of what happened? And/or how to fix it? We’ve tried deleting and recreating the list, but the “new” version kept the same problem. So we’re considering creating an identical list with a new name. But I would prefer to fix the problem!

Here is the list header, which uses standard settings (standard for our other lists, at least). I believe we’re running Listserv version 14.5.

* This is a LISTSERV for all USP Faculty members

* Review= Owners Subscription= Closed

* Notify= Yes Reply-to= None, Respect

* Send= Public

* Validate= No

* Notebook= No

* Digest= Yes,Same,Daily,16:30

* Default-Options= Repro

* Confidential= Yes

Thanks for your time.

Chris Wieman

Information Science Instructor / Systems & Reference Librarian