Hello list,

   I am planning to move about 50 Listserv lists to a new server. The
procedure is described in the document "wp-MovingLStoNewServer.pdf" from
the LSoft site. According to this procedure, I will need to copy
"Everything in the LISTSERV directory tree. This includes the configuration
file, the spool directory, the ~LISTSERV/MAIN or ~LISTSERV/HOME directory,
the listname.* files, the LOG and TMP directories, and everything else
[1].".

   However, I would like to start off from a fresh Listserv installation and
configuration. I am using a different OS than before (Debian 6 vs. CentOS
5.5) which requires relinking at least some binaries against different
libraries. On the listserv home directory will be in a different location.
And generally, I want to get rid of any unnecessary in the Listserv
directories that may have accumulated over time.
   Importantly, the Listserv version on the old server is up-to-date so the
version on the new server is identical to the old server.

   So my question is:
   Which is the minimal set of files that needs to be copied in order to
move a list from one server to another - i.e. including the archives,
subscriber, list- and subscriber settings, etc.

   To complete the picture, my general migration strategy will be:
   - Implement and test the new server as far as possible
   - Disable the old server
   - Move all lists to the new server, for example using a script
   - (if necessary) adjust any settings on the new server to reflect the new
domain name
   - Change DNS so my domain points to the new server

   The effect will be that my users may notice a short interruption in the
service, but for the rest no functionality will change.

   Thanks for the advice!
   Lucas

"/Sapere aude!/"