Thanks Michael and others.

We solved the problem by eliminating a second address in the From: field.
Postings are now being sent to gmail subscribers successfully. The problem
also affected mail sent to mail domains run by Google Apps except those
that still use Postini. Non-Google domains were not affected.

Not all postings to gmail.com failed, only those sent from our main mail
server. That's why many people did not see the failure.

It does look like Google changed a policy. As far as we can tell from our
old mail, we've been sending two forms of the sender's email address since
May 2010. There are many successful examples of mail deliveries until early
April 2013. Then, in late April, Google started bouncing mail with the
RFC2822 error.

The two addresses in the From: field sped up delivery to our internal
subscribers. The efficiency had to be sacrificed to make sure mail was
delivered to gmail.

Barry Krawchuk