On LSTOWN-L, Ben Parker wrote, in part:

Longer term solutions:

L-Soft is working on a change to LISTSERV that will basically re-write the From: *@yahoo.com addresses to something that does not cause the bounce/rejection problem.  This requires changes at the server level and is not accessible to subscribers or List Owners.  This is in testing now.  One problem with this approach is that such re-written From: addresses will likely go into your "spam" folder where you may not see them. Although this is problematic in itself, this is somewhat better than not allowing any messages from *@yahoo.com address at all.

I have some questions for LSoft.
  • In your opinion, is their hope Yahoo! will back off this change?  Is LSoft pursuing this avenue?
    • I saw one ridiculous graph that was supposed to validate the Yahoo! change, which showed Yahoo! users posted to mailing lists once for every 99.5 spam/phishing mail received.
  • Will this change, now in test, be applicable to various Listserv levels? Which ones?
  • Will this change, now in test, be implemented w/o a Listserv code change via configuration and/or exits?
  • Will this change, now in test, affect or be affected by list settings?
  • Will this change, now in test, affect the ways a recipient reads or replies to a distribution?
  • Will this change, now in test, be applicable only to yahoo.* posts, or will it affect all distributions?
  • What did I neglect to ask?

On my Listserv server, I added a "Filter_also= *@yahoo.*" configuration line early Tuesday, but not in time for to save DMARC-related subscription terminations on many of my lists, some of which were substantial in number (the list I started looking at had 50 out of 350 subscriptions terminated).

I mention this only as a wake-up call to Listserv maintainers that haven't yet addressed the problem.  If you haven't notified your list owners and/or looked at recent AUTODEL records in your list changelogs, maybe you should?

That said, no workaround I've seen suggested anywhere seem palatable for all of our sites and mailing lists (except for Yahoo! backing off their change).  :-(

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne T Smith - [log in to unmask] - UMS-ITS-ECAS

To unsubscribe from the LSTSRV-L list, click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTSRV-L&A=1