It is google.com that has p=quarantine; gmail.com has p=none.

  Eric

Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2014 16:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Phishing Warnings from Gmail?

On May 4, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:19:20 -0700, Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On any email from a ListServe member who uses Gmail I am receiving a phishing
warning.

Yahoo.com and AOL.com recently published a DMARC policy of "p=reject" which
tells any receiving site that implements DMARC inspection of incoming mail
to reject any incoming mail from their domains if it fails inspection.  Mail
coming via a LISTSERV (or other) mailing list will fail by definition since
the mail does not (and cannot) come directly from Yahoo or AOL mail servers.

At about the same time Google/Gmail published their DMARC policy as
"p=quarantine".  This means that instead of rejecting the mail outright
(like Yahoo and AOL) receiving domains should handle it 'carefully' and may
choose to deliver it, but with cautionary notices.  Thus the phishing
warning.  Again the problem is the mail coming via a LISTSERV (or other)
mailing list will fail by definition since the mail does not (and cannot)
come directly from Gmail servers.

It is really the same mechanism at work.  But the results in one case
prevent participation in the list by outright rejection of messages and in
the other case lead to side-effects such as these warnings.

I’m really puzzled here. About half of my list members use gmail (many are refugees from AOL and Yahoo). I have not gotten phishing warnings on any of their posts. And our volume is typically 50-100 messages per day.

best regards,

Larry

--

Larry Finch

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list, click the following link:

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list, click the following link: