On May 3, 2014, at 3:19 PM, Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> One of my list members wrote:
>> Mike-
>> On any email from a ListServe member who uses Gmail I am receiving a phishing warning.  I followed the help pages and they told me to inform the list serve administrator that there might be an authentication problem described here:
>> 
>> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/180707?hl=en
>> 
> Is this anything I should be concerned about? The admins at my listserv site do not seem inclined to pay any attention to listserv. As far as I can tell, they are not planning to upgrade from their current release 14 installation -- they say listserv is stable and they don't have time to mess with it.
> 
> So I've blocked all my subscribers from posting from AOL or Yahoo accounts. Many have changed to other accounts; many others have not, so I guess they're lurkers who never post.
> 
> Any advice?
> 
> Thanks in advance!
> 

The problem is abuse of DMARC by Yahoo and AOL (I know, that may be flamebait, but it’s the way it is). There is a listserv workaround for the problem (it is a workaround, not a fix; there is no fix that would preserve the traditional use of mailing lists). Essentially AOL and Yahoo users cannot be allowed to post to a list unless the listserv installation is updated to the latest point release of listserv v16. If your site is still on 14 it is probably out of support, so updating would be very expensive.

While you can deal with the phishing warnings by telling your list members to accept the posts a few times, and to check the gmail spam folder and mark any list messages as Not Spam, that won’t help your Hotmail, Comcast, Rogers, SBCGlobal, AT&T, Yahoo, AOL and a few other ISPs that are blocking mail from Yahoo and AOL list subscribers totally.

The lists that we host on v14 have the same problem; our solution is to set all of the AOL and Yahoo users to REVIEW, then have moderators forward the message from accounts hosted on our site. And also ask the AOL and Yahoo members to get gmail (or other) accounts.

best regards,
Larry
Site manager, HMSSurprise.org / portadmiral.org

--
Larry Finch
[log in to unmask]

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1