I think it might be helpful to start from the beginning – what problems DMARC p=reject is supposed to solve.

When I recently traveled to the US to choose our new office location, I almost immediately got mail, allegedly from my bank, warning me of suspicious credit card activity from an unusual location and prompting me to call a number ASAP and have my credit card ready. This was obviously spam so I deleted it. But it was for real. I ignored the message, they blocked my card, and having done that I had to jump through 10 times as many hoops to get it restored. But, of course, only a fool would follow the instructions in that kind of message, and this is exactly the problem that DMARC p=reject is designed to solve. It is for automated messages from financial organizations like my bank or Paypal. There is no reason for [log in to unmask] to subscribe to any discussion lists and start debating I don’t know what. The idea of DMARC is that if everyone were to implement it, I would be able to trust that the warning about my credit card was for real, and call my bank before it was too late.

The problem is when Yahoo and AOL, having both recently been hacked and having other vested interests in getting rid of as much unprofitable list mail as possible, suddenly decided to implement p=reject just because it is a tool that exists and that provides a selfish, short-term benefit with respect to the hacked contact lists, with the added side-effect that you blow most mailing lists out of the waters, which saves you unprofitable mail traffic and hopefully drives that traffic towards context-rich-ad spaces like your local brand of social networking. It’s a win-win proposition for the 800lbs gorillas and who cares if anyone suffers as collateral damage. We’ll just keep waving the “spam” and “phishing” banners and point out that mailing list traffic is less than 1% of total traffic so who cares anyway? Well I don’t know, messages from family members are 0.001% so why would anyone care about that? Just asking J

Anyway, DMARC is here to stay because it saves $$$ for the ISP cartel and because they couldn’t care less about your mailing lists. That’s why so many big companies lose in the end, they stop caring about the people they call customers. “There’s no such thing as professional photographers” and so on.

  Eric